SAN JOSE, Calif., February 2, 2012 – Cavium, Inc. (NASDAQ: CAVM), a leading provider of highly integrated semiconductor products that enable intelligent processing for networking, communications, and the digital home, today announced financial results for the fourth quarter of 2011 ended December 31, 2011.
Revenue in the fourth quarter of 2011 was $56.3 million, a 16.9% sequential decrease from the $67.7 million reported for the third quarter of 2011.
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) Results
Net loss for the fourth quarter of 2011, on a GAAP basis, was $9.4 million, or $(0.19) per diluted share, compared to net income of $6.0 million, or $0.12 per diluted share in the third quarter of 2011. Gross margins were 58.1% in the fourth quarter of 2011 compared to 59.9% in the third quarter of 2011. Total cash and cash equivalents were $63.2 million at December 31, 2011.
Cavium believes that the presentation of non-GAAP financial measures provides important supplemental information to management and investors regarding financial and business trends relating to the company's financial condition and results of operations. These measures should only be used to evaluate the Company’s results of operations in conjunction with the corresponding GAAP measures. Non-GAAP financial measures in the fourth quarter of 2011 exclude expenses totaling $18.2 million related to stock-based compensation and related payroll expense, amortization of acquired intangible assets, acquisition related expenses and write-down of intangible assets. The reconciliation between GAAP and non-GAAP financial results is provided in the financial statements portion of this release.
Non-GAAP net income for the fourth quarter of 2011 was $8.7 million or $0.17 per diluted share, compared with non-GAAP income of $14.4 million, or $0.27 per diluted share in the third quarter of 2011. Gross margins, on a non-GAAP basis, were 63.5% and operating margins (non-GAAP income from operations as a percentage of revenue), on a non-GAAP basis, were 10.5% in the fourth quarter of 2011.
Recent News Highlights
- January 23, 2012 - Cavium’s OCTEON® II Wins The Linley Group “Best Embedded Processor” Award
- January 18, 2012 - Enea Announces Bare Metal Performance Tools for Cavium OCTEON® Family of Multicore Processors
- January 11, 2012 - Kontron 10-core "out-of-the-box" DPI AdvancedMC™ module designed for high bandwidth LTE network security applications
- January 10, 2012 - Cavium to Showcase Industry-Leading Wireless Display and Broadband Gateway Solutions at the 2012 International Consumer Electronic Show
- January 10, 2012 -Cavium's PureVu™ Media Processors Power Acer's New Line of Wireless Monitors
- January 10, 2012 - Cavium Collaborates with Qualcomm Atheros on New Small Form-Factor, Portable Wireless Display TV Adapter
- January 10, 2012 - Cavium's ARM-based ECONA SoC Powers D-Link's Routers
- January 04, 2012 - Cavium to Collaborate with Intel on Providing Best-in-Class Wireless Display Consumer Experience
- November 29, 2011 - Cavium’s OCTEON® II Achieves World’s Highest CoreMark Benchmark Score for an Integrated Communications Processor
Cavium, Inc. will broadcast its fourth quarter 2011 financial results conference call today, February 2, 2012, at 2 p.m. Pacific time (5 p.m. Eastern time). The conference call will be available via a live web cast on the investor relations section of the Cavium website at http://www.cavium.com
. Please access the website at least a few minutes prior to the start of the call in order to download and install any necessary audio software. An archived web cast replay of the call will be available on the web site for a limited period of time.
Cavium is a leading provider of highly integrated semiconductor products that enable intelligent processing for networking, communications and the digital home. Cavium offers a broad portfolio of integrated, software-compatible processors ranging in performance from 10 Mbps to 40 Gbps that enable secure, intelligent functionality in enterprise, data-center, broadband/consumer and access and service provider equipment. Cavium processors are supported by ecosystem partners that provide operating systems, tool support, reference designs and other services. Cavium’s principal office is in San Jose, CA with design team locations in California, Massachusetts, India and Taiwan. For more information, please visit: http://www.cavium.com.
For additional information, contact:
Vice President of Finance and Administration
and Chief Financial Officer
Tel: (408) 943-7104
Sr. Marketing Communications Manager,
Cavium, 2315 N. First Street,
San Jose CA 95131,
Telephone: +1 408-943-7417