|MontaVista announces support for next-generation LTE & WiMAX 4G wireless networks
New release of MontaVista Carrier Grade Edition adds 4Gsupport plus OpenSAF capability in over 30 new Linux Support Packages
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - October 19th, 2009
– MontaVista® Software, Inc., the leader in embedded Linux® commercialization, announced today the next release of their market leading Carrier Grade Edition (CGE) Linux with over 30 different Linux Support Packages (LSP’s) available immediately. CGE 5.1 adds support for next generation 4G wireless networks including LTE and WiMAX, and includes full integration of the OpenSAF high availability middleware consistent with Service Availability™ Forum specifications. In addition, MontaVista becomes the first commercial Linux vendor to offer virtual routing and forwarding (VRF) capabilities for secure wireless networks. CGE 5.1 remains the only carrier grade Linux to be compliant with Carrier Grade Linux, IPv6, and Linux Standard Base certifications.
MontaVista Carrier Grade Edition Linux is a commercial-grade Linux development platform for network equipment developers working with Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) or custom hardware, who require high quality, high availability and long-term support, built on open source. MontaVista CGE 5.1 helps Network Equipment Providers (NEPs) deliver secure, innovative products at a lower cost by:
- Providing the features and protocols required for next generation wireless networks like LTE and WiMAX, freeing developers from the burden of developing and supporting these protocols themselves
- Enabling virtual routing and forwarding within Linux, so that cost-effective, off the shelf hardware may be utilized, rather than expensive custom hardware to provide the same level of security. This enables hardware consolidation, which ultimately lowers costs for NEP’s
- Integrating open source high availability middleware solutions like OpenSAF consistent with Service Availability Forum specifications, speeding application development.
“MontaVista Linux Carrier Grade Edition is the most widely deployed carrier grade Linux in the world, currently in use at 7 of the top 8 Network Equipment Providers. CGE 5.1 provides the functionality our customers require to deliver next generation wireless services,” said Dan Cauchy, vice president of Marketing at MontaVista. “By supporting 4G and LTE wireless networks, integrating OpenSAF capabilities, and being the first Linux provider to offer virtual routing and forwarding, MontaVista remains committed to helping our customers deliver innovative, market leading products, cost effectively and in a timely fashion.”
“MontaVista Linux CGE is a proven solution for design teams that need to adhere to the strict technical requirements of a carrier environment. MontaVista Linux CGE and Freescale processors are a combination that allows engineers to focus their design efforts on developing competitive, differentiated products, without having to worry about whether the OS and chip set can maintain the high level of reliability and performance required by telecom service providers,” said Ravi Swaminathan, Director of Software Ecosystem Alliances at Freescale Semiconductor.
“Cavium Networks and MontaVista have a long history of working together to provide our joint customers with high-performance, high-reliability solutions. MontaVista was the first carrier grade Linux to support the OCTEON® Multi-core MIPS64® processors, which is imperative for our customers deploying 4G wireless networks,” said YJ Kim, Senior Director, Networking and Communications Division at Cavium Networks. “The new features in CGE 5.1, like virtual routing and forwarding, combined with OCTEON processors provide our joint customers with an optimized, market-leading performance, low power solution for service provider networking equipment.”
"OpenSAF is pleased that MontaVista has chosen to include OpenSAF in their Carrier Grade Edition product", said Alan Meyer, President of the OpenSAF Foundation. "As a recognized carrier grade Linux provider, MontaVista is helping to accelerate the adoption of OpenSAF as the next generation high-availability middleware solution for the carrier market."
“MontaVista has been a pioneer in the development of Carrier Grade Linux and a key partner of Iskratel,” said Andrej Ciglic, Executive Director of R&D at Iskratel. “They have been a constant innovator and contributor to carrier grade Linux and this has enabled Iskratel to put our focus on delivering value to our customers, not commercializing open source software. This has helped accelerate the adoption of Linux as a carrier grade embedded operating system, speeding development and lowering costs for companies like Iskratel.”
Tweet This: @mvista announces a new version of its market leading Carrier Grade Edition Linux with 30+ LSP’s available now! http://bit.ly/2oBmEp
About MontaVista Linux CGE:
- Next release of industry leading CGE product has over 30 Linux support packages (LSPs) available today with support for Intel x86, Freescale processors based on Power Architecture® technology, Cavium OCTEON, and RMI XLR/XLS architectures
- All above architectures have been registered for compliance with Carrier Grade Linux 4.0 at the Linux Foundation: http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/cgl/registered-distributions
- Adds features such as SCTP, IPSEC with IKEv2 protocols, required for LTE and 4G next generation wireless networks
- The only commercial Linux vendor to provide virtual routing and forwarding, allowing for hardware consolidation and network administration flexibility
- Integration of the open source OpenSAF 3.0 high availability middleware
- The only carrier grade Linux to be compliant with CGL 4.0, IPv6, and LSB 3.0 certifications
- 7 of the top 8 NEP’s deploy products running MontaVista Linux CGE
Carrier Grade Edition
Interview with Dan Cauchy, CGL Workgroup Chair
Our Other Products
Webinars, white papers, and more
MontaVista on YouTube
MontaVista on Twitter
Meld on Twitter
How to find us
About MontaVista Software
MontaVista Software, Inc. is the leader in embedded Linux commercialization. For over 10 years, MontaVista has been helping embedded developers get the most out of open source by adding commercial quality, integration, hardware enablement, expert support, and the resources of the MontaVista development community. Because MontaVista customers enjoy faster time to market, more competitive device functionality, and lower total cost, more devices have been deployed with MontaVista than with any other Linux. To learn more, please visit www.mvista.com
About Cavium Networks
Cavium Networks is a leading provider of highly integrated semiconductor products that enable intelligent processing in networking, communications, wireless, storage, video and security applications. Cavium Networks offers a broad portfolio of integrated, software-compatible processors ranging in performance from 10 Mbps to 20 Gbps that enable secure, intelligent functionality in enterprise, data-center, broadband/consumer and access and service provider equipment. Cavium Networks processors are supported by ecosystem partners that provide operating systems, tool support, reference designs and other services. Cavium Networks principal offices are in Mountain View, CA with design team locations in California, Massachusetts and India. For more information, please visit: http://www.caviumnetworks.com.
Cavium Networks Contact:
Marketing Communications Manager
805 East Middlefield Road,
Mountain View, CA 94043
Connect Public Relations
Telephone: (801) 373-7888
Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the United States and other countries. MontaVista is a registered trademark of MontaVista Software, Inc. All other names mentioned are trademarks, registered trademarks or service marks of their respective owners.
OCTEON™, NITROX™, ECONA™ and PureVu™ are trademarks of Cavium Networks, Inc . All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. All rights reserved. © Cavium Networks, Inc. 2009